Michelmores has developed a wealth of experience in advising Independent School clients across the country, particularly in London and the South West. We provide a full range of legal services relating to all aspects of the provision of private education and have a keen awareness of the specific issues relating to these institutions, including:
- implementing effective strategies for the recovery of outstanding school fees
- attaining and retaining charitable status
- establishing a range of cost saving initiatives aimed at reducing expenditure and increasing revenue
The Independent Schools team is able to support its clients through growth and change, whether this involves restructuring of their estate, consolidation with other schools or effective dispute resolution with parents, suppliers or employees. With our assistance, our clients are able to complete projects within time and on budget, whilst being able to focus on their primary objective, the education and development of their students.
- The DfE make changes to the model funding agreements
- To concentrate or confiscate – banning energy drinks in schools
- Searching, screening and confiscation – DfE guidance
- School governance in 2017: An annual survey by NGA and TES
- GDPR: The emerging trends
- GDPR: An overview for schools
- Updates to School Inspection Handbook
- New legal duties for schools concerning previously looked after children
- Department for Education – updated guidance on schools forums
- School complaints – considering the Equality Act 2010
- Safeguarding suspension is not a neutral act
- OFSTED complaints procedure found to be unfair – what does it mean?
- Updates to EduBase no longer possible
- Permanent and fixed period exclusions – the headteacher's dilemma
- Academies Financial Handbook 2017 – key changes
- New power to remove elected parent governors
- Schools' duties when it comes to politics – where do they stand?
- Academy trust mergers – holding consultations
- DfE proposes to expand number of good school places
- Can I refuse a pupil a school trip because of disability?
- Disciplining a child with SEN
- Two of the West Country's Most Prestigious Schools Merge
- Acting on a merger between two leading South West Independent Schools.
- Defending an unfair dismissal claim from a disgruntled employee at an Employment Tribunal.
- Assisting in the recovery of unpaid school fees and/or the reaching of a settlement as to sums owing.
- Advising on the sale and purchase of land and buildings.
- Negotiating terms of commercial leases and licences.
- Acting in relation to the registration of a school with the Charity Commission, including an assessment in relation to the public benefit test.
- Assisting in the resolution of disputes and litigation against landlords, employees and parents.
- Supporting schools in relation to major construction projects.