Our specialist Banking Solicitors advise banks, financial institutions, impact investment funds, development finance institutions, alternative lenders, sovereign wealth funds, trade financiers and borrowers on a variety of financial matters including, providing support on the financial components of commercial property, projects and infrastructure transactions and corporate finance transactions.
The team prides itself in acting on behalf of some of the UK’s largest banking corporations and finance houses, as well as for borrowers in substantial lending transactions in domestic and cross-border financings.
We have particular specialist expertise in real estate finance, domestic and international impact investment and Public-Private Partnership projects.
The team also includes a nationally-recognised group of solicitors with expertise in agriculture and farm finance.
Clear, concise and directional in their advice.
Chambers and Partners 2020
They provide a really good service, I have no queries. It's a slick operation.
Level headed and commercial.
They have worked hard in getting an understanding of the way our business works, and the whole team is knowledgeable and proactive.
Chambers and Partners 2021
Particularly well regarded in the renewable energy, healthcare and education sectors.
Legal 500 2021
Strong presence in the South West with non-London based partners... In Exeter, it appears to me that Michelmores is the only law firm with any real finance capability.
Legal 500 2021
Easy to do business with and straightforward.
Legal 500 2021
Strong presence in the south west across both junior and senior team members.
Legal 500 2022
Friendly and non-stuffy, take the effort and time to work in a way that fits with our culture rather than imposing their own.
Legal 500 2022
- Michelmores' Impact Investment and Banking teams have advised the Soros Economic Development Fund (SEDF) on its partnership with MedAccess
- Unsuccessful suspension of a bankrupt's discharge: Re Mittal
- Michelmores supports Proparco and Global Partnerships on Microfinance debt programme by BRAC
- Anna Thompson advises St Austell Brewery on the renewal of its funding arrangements
- Barclays wins capital subscription loan claim against former Dewey & LeBoeuf partner
- Business Legal Hour - Market Insights - 24.04.20
- Coronavirus Business Legal Hour - 09.04.20
- Managing Coronavirus disruption – practical steps for businesses
- Michelmores advises Emma Bridgewater on £8 million investment
- Trading through the Coronavirus – issues for directors
- Michelmores advises Ocean Fish on acquisition of majority shareholding in operator of Britain's largest beam trawl fleets, W. Stevenson & Sons
- Michelmores advises on DFI investment into hydropower plant in Laos
- Michelmores advises Eddie Stobart directors on deal with new majority shareholder DBay
- Michelmores advises Berry Properties Limited on its £22.5m refinancing
- The Model Law on recognition and enforcement of insolvency-related judgments
- No-deal Brexit? – Implications for the financial services sector
- Framework for the UK-EU partnership in Financial Services
- The old bill – an end to the Bills of Sale Act and what this means for invoice financiers
- Fintech – Evolution or Revolution
- Market Manipulation: The tale of 2015
- Michelmores acts on deal that saved over 30 jobs in Exeter
- Financial Services Update: 2014
Get in touch
- Advising Proparco and Global Partnerships in connection with their participation as the first investors in a debt programme established by the international arm of the one of the world's largest development organisations BRAC.
- Advising in relation to the acquisition of a major hotel chain which included advising in relation to a $180m listed bond to fund the transaction and the target group's senior secured facilities of circa £170m.
- Acting on behalf of an international investment manager in connection with funding of £17m for the acquisition of a hotel portfolio. The revised facilities include a CLBILS facility in light of the COVID pandemic.
- Advising development finance institutions, Finnfund and FMO, on debt facility to an East African sustainable forestry group.
- Acting for a major hotel group in connection with the restructuring of c.£100m of debt and the subsequent assignment of its debt and equity to new investors.
- Acting for the borrower in relation to the development and financing of a new 400-bed hotel and the negotiation of a hotel management agreement with premium international hospitality brand.
- Advising St Austell Brewery in connection with its funding arrangements.
- Advising Seasalt clothing in connection with its funding arrangements, including an investment by BGF.
- Acting for Standard Bank on over 300 secured lending transactions, many involving multiple jurisdictions and complex security issues.
- Advising international sports brand, in connection its funding for the refinance of a swimwear business and subsequent acquisition through a pre-pack insolvency sale.
- Advising development/bridging finance lenders in connection with numerous debt investments into real estate development projects.