The Private Wealth sector comprises individuals, families, their personal and business interests and the banks, wealth management entities and other advisers that protect their key assets.
Our Private Wealth Solicitors offer a number of different legal specialities to the sector, ranging from traditional private client advice of the highest quality to commercial advice to new corporate entrants into the market on all aspects of their business.
Many of our clients in the sector, especially entrepreneurs and landowners, rely on us to advise on the legal and tax challenges of their business, real estate and personal matters in a coordinated way.
Our reputation and experience in the sector attracts financial institutions, partnerships and other advisers as clients who see us operating as a key player in the UK's private wealth sector and understanding its fast-changing regulatory and commercial environment.
We do not offer private wealth management services, allowing us to work with a variety of independent specialists who do.
We have a specialist focus on four key areas:
- Wealth generators and Entrepreneurs
- Wealth managers and Institutions
MAINstream angel investor network
An initiative to help connect investors and experienced entrepreneurs with innovative early-stage business – find out more.
- US/UK tax – the basics
- Planning: Potential to improve a Class Q consent
- Corporate Insolvency Regime
- In Brief - Undervaluing property & inheritance tax
- Telecoms: New Code creates confusion
- Preventing Airbnb type sub-lettings
- Section 21: No gas safety certificate…no fault?
- Litigation costs: The winner takes it all......or do they?
- Stamp Duty Land Tax: Multiple Dwellings Relief
- Do I need to use lawyers for my company's crowdfunding raise?
- Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) factors and impact investing
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) and Government support for charities
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) - further questions on residential eviction proceedings
- Coronavirus – effects on business landlords and tenants – 'fake news'
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) and delaying tax payments
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) and eviction proceedings
- Millennials, money & myths: family & money matters
- Inheritance Tax Reliefs and Grazing Licences
- US/UK Trusts - Case Study
- Tax implications of investing in cryptocurrency
- Attorneys and Executors – what is the difference?
- Millennials, money & myths: Technology & investment
- Prenuptial Agreements - FAQs
- A Quick Guide to Real Estate Law for Start-ups and SMEs
- Millennials, money & myths: Finance & investing
- Inheritance Tax relief on gifts to charities
- Overseas Entities Bill – Registration of Overseas Beneficial Owners
- Woodlands and estate planning
- Inheritance Tax Relief: Simplification could increase tax liability
- Charity Commission guidance for charities with a connection to a non-charity
- Charitable bequests
- Board Meetings – what to do if I disagree with the majority?
- The future of Lasting Powers of Attorney?
- Offshore income gains fall outside the protected trusts rules
- Michelmores is named as an eprivateclient Top Law Firm for 2019
- Inheritance Tax and offshore trusts: anniversary and exit charges
- Simon Thomas and Jennifer Ridgway recognised in the 2019 Spear's 500
- Michelmores shortlisted in Citywealth's 2019 Magic Circle Awards
- The Times Best Law Firms 2019: Michelmores commended for private client work
- Trustees granted new powers by the court under section 57 of the Trustees Act 1925
- The outlook for London's property sector
- Michelmores' International Trust Advisory Group host seminar on the Cayman Islands
- A warning note for trustees?
- House Prize Competitions: is it worth the gamble?
- Statutory codicil and interpretation
- Mental capacity to marry but not to make a Will
- What right do beneficiaries have to request information from trustees?
- Draft Finance Bill 2019 now published
- How does Stamp Duty Land Tax affect the purchase of residential property for trusts?
- Michelmores contribute to the STEP Handbook for Advisers
- Advance decisions
- The importance of witnessing a will
- Warning as to the future of Agricultural Property Relief
- Stepfamilies and will drafting
- Edward Porter featured in City Wealth 2018 Future Leaders List
- Inheritance tax reform – change on the horizon?
- Michelmores has been named one of the 2018 eprivateclient Top Law Firms
- theView - sixth edition
- Capital Gains Tax and Principal Private Residence Relief – quality over quantity
- Michelmores shortlisted in the 2018 Devon & Somerset Law Society’s Legal Awards
- Michelmores' Private Client team tops the league for Private Wealth law
- Michelmores shortlisted for Private Client Legal Team of the Year
- Michelmores shortlisted in Citywealth's 2017 Magic Circle Awards
- Administration of Estates: Lifetime Gifts and Penalties
- theView - fifth edition
- April 2017 changes for UK resident non-domiciled individuals
- Inheritance Tax
- Getting onto the housing ladder
- Statutory residence test update
- Dealing with trustees' mistakes
- Trustees and Investments
- Brexit: Private Wealth sector
- Michelmores grows Disputed Wills and Trusts team
- Wife receives £300K 30 years after separation
- Michelmores hosts first Collections event
- Private Client in eprivateclients' Top 25
- Finding solutions on separation and divorce - Part 2
- Finding solutions on separation and divorce - Part 1
- Starting up a next generation start up?
- SDLT - Treatment of Trusts & Beneficiaries
- Family Will Trusts
- Small Business, Enterprise and Employment Act 2015
- Persons with significant control
- The dissenting voice
- Family businesses – get your governance right!
- Multi-jurisdictional exposures to tax: the pitfalls
- 'Easier and simpler planning regulations to be welcomed'
- The Residence Nil Rate Band
- Michelmores sponsors 'Sporting Legends Dinner'
- Crociani and others v Crociani and others
- Michelmores shortlisted in two categories for the British Legal Awards
- UK Summer Budget 2015 - Domicile
- eprivateclient's Top 35 under 35 list
- Eeny meeny miny…
- £164,000 landmark ruling
- Deathbed gifts: new developments in the law
- Three Michelmores lawyers recognised in 2015 CityWealth Leaders List
- Michelmores shortlisted
- Trusts and compensation for a vulnerable client
- Digital assets: advice for personal representatives
- Jennifer Ridgway reviews case law concerning divorce settlements and vulnerable clients in Private Client Adviser
- Lucian Freud: disputed wills and secret trusts
- Be Aware - New Rules Apply to all Transfers of Commercial Property
- Are the Floodgates Open?
- Supreme Court's Decision: Increase in Legacy Disputes?
- International clients acquiring assets in the UK
- Is private consumer finance going to bury the Green Deal?
Get in touch
- Working with the owners of significant privately-owned family companies to ensure an effective succession to the control and capital value of the business.
- Advising family shareholders on a £500m plus asset disposal programme.
- Advising as to how best to structure the tax efficient receipt by a UK resident (US citizen) of capital distributions from an existing offshore structure.
- Nuptial arrangements to protect family assets both before and after a marriage.
- Advising non-domicilaries how best to structure assets before becoming UK resident.
- Providing on-going advice to more than 30 landed estates and also acting as trustees for a considerable number of these.
- Advising a leading EIS Fund on its investments
- Reputation management advice to high-profile listed plc director.
- Advising founder of a healthcare technology business on corporate sale to a US buyer
- Advising a private bank in respect of its standard documentation.
- Providing family constitution advice to a client with a £30m family business and a disparate successor generation.
- Our tax compliance team has worked with our tax planning lawyers to develop a comprehensive tax compliance and mitigation service.
- Advising the trustees of a group of eight family trusts that own significant City property interests and investment portfolios in their management and strategic planning of the family's wealth and related interests.
- Managing a £50m distribution of limited partnerships interests; negotiating warranties, indemnities and advice as to the conditions on assignment.
- Advising as to best practice for a Liechtenstein Foundation in view of the recent UK/Swiss tax agreement.