Hall of Fame - Corporate and Commercial Legal 500 2021
"Ian Holyoak is extremely knowledgeable and provides spot-on advice."
Legal 500 2020
Ian is a Partner in our Business Group and leads our Energy team. He is top ranked in independent legal guide, the Legal 500, who have listed him in their 'Hall of Fame'.
Ian joined Michelmores in 2003, having previously worked in the City, and in-house as Head of Legal for a listed mining, minerals and chemicals company with global interests. His GC experience has proved invaluable for clients, including in relation to competition law and the energy sector. He is renowned for his incisive mind and commerciality.
Ian handles a diverse variety of matters for businesses, including advisory and funding arrangements.
Ian also has extensive knowledge of corporate transactions more generally, including business sales and purchases, corporate structures, joint ventures, shareholder agreements and due diligence investigations. He is based in Exeter but works regularly from the London and Bristol offices.
Ian remains a keen sportsman, and was recently fortunate to enjoy a sabbatical, during which he and his family visited 40 countries. Highlights included crossing the Arctic Circle in their camper van; watching glaciers calving into the sea in Alaska and teaching his youngest daughter to ride a bike (a skill which was put to good use pedaling around the rim of the Grand Canyon).
- Advising the Biowatt Energy group on several investments in the biogas sector
- Advising UKRD on the competition law implications of their acquisition by Bauer Media Group
- Acting for Saba UK (formerly Indigo / VINCI Park) on a number of major contracts to provide car parking and ancillary services
- Advising on the merger control / CMA implications for a major business in a primary industry on their take-over of a similar business
- Acting for the holder of EU and UK government funds on their engagement of a fund manager, including in relation to the procurement and other regulatory aspects
- Advising a trade body in the transport sector on the competition law (restricted trade practices) of their contracts with members and with their EU umbrella organisation
- Advising a number of overseas entities on the funding of renewable energy and low-carbon projects funded by credits under the UN's clean development mechanisms, including related option and emissions reduction purchase agreements