Benn is a Partner in the Restructuring & Insolvency team specialising in both contentious and non-contentious insolvency.
He is a solicitor-advocate (all higher courts, civil and criminal) in both England & Wales and is admitted to practice as a solicitor-advocate in the Eastern Caribbean Circuit.
Benn’s work includes acting for insolvency practitioners, creditors, debtors, companies, directors, and other stakeholders.
Benn has significant experience acting on complex contentious matters, including acting on unlawful tax avoidance schemes, breach of duty claims against directors, cross-border insolvency issues, and acting on complex bankruptcy issues.
Benn has a depth of advisory experience and has recently advised on proposed Restructuring Plans under Part 26A of the Companies Act 2006 and advised a large sports travel company on a joint-venture agreement in relation to the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games. Benn has significant experience in the not-for-profit sector having (among other things) led the insolvency advice on the pre-pack sale of 4Children (August 2016).
Benn is a member of the International Bar Association and sits on the Consulting Editorial Board for Lexis PSL Restructuring and Insolvency and the LexisAsk panel for insolvency law.
- Acted for loan note holders on a proposed Restructuring Plan under Part 26A of the Companies Act 2006
- Advised a UK large sports travel company on a joint-venture agreement in relation to the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games
- Acted for a large group of Spanish creditors in relation to the UK administration of a time-share company, successfully seeking the removal and replacement of the administrators
- Acted for the trustee in bankruptcy in Amin v Redbrige  EWHC 3100 (Ch) – annulments and recessions of bankruptcy orders and costs orders
- Acting for the petitioning creditor in a complex bearer share dispute concern property in the Czech Republic (which included appointing provisional liquidators) – GBI Investments Limited ( All ER (D) 171 (Jun)).
- Acted for the Swiss liquidators of Swissair in their applications under the UNCITRAL model law on insolvency proceedings – Schweizerische Luftverkehr-Aktiengesellschaft  All ER (D) 153 (Aug)
- Acted for the trustee in bankruptcy in the case of Segal v Pasram  EWHC 3448 (Ch) (transactions at an undervalue and matrimonial agreements)
- Re Eurocruit Europe Limited (in liquidation)  EWHC 1433 (Ch) – directors, breach of duty claims and limitation
- Led the insolvency advice on the pre-pack administration sale of the large children’s charity 4Children
- Acting for the trustee in bankruptcy of Karen Millen on certain aspects of her bankruptcy
- Acted for a creditor group on one of the largest ever bankruptcies in England & Wales
- Acting for the Cayman liquidators to a Hedge Fund, which was a feeder fund to a well-known New York based “Ponzi scheme”
- Acting for a group of investors on a fraud by a “day trader” giving rise to a significant judgment debt and numerous interim relief orders (freezing orders, Norwich Pharmacal)