Benn is a Partner in the Restructuring & Insolvency team specialising in both contentious and non-contentious insolvency.
He is a solicitor-advocate (all higher courts, civil and criminal) in both England & Wales and is admitted to practice as a solicitor-advocate in the Eastern Caribbean Circuit.
Benn’s work includes acting for insolvency practitioners, creditors, debtors, companies, directors, and other stakeholders.
Benn has significant experience in the not-for-profit sector having (among other things) led the insolvency advice on the pre-pack sale of 4Children (August 2016). Benn’s work also includes acting for insolvency office-holders in relation to unlawful tax avoidance schemes, breach of duty claims against directors, cross-border insolvency issues, and acting on complex bankruptcy issues.
He is also a member of the Association of Business Recovery Professionals (R3) and sits on the Consulting Editorial Board for Lexis PSL Restructuring and Insolvency and the LexisAsk panel for insolvency law.
- Acted for the trustee in bankruptcy in Amin v Redbrige  EWHC 3100 (Ch) – annulments and recessions of bankruptcy orders and costs orders
- Acting for the petitioning creditor in a complex bearer share dispute concern property in the Czech Republic (which included appointing provisional liquidators) – GBI Investments Limited ( All ER (D) 171 (Jun)).
- Acted for the Swiss liquidators of Swissair in their applications under the UNCITRAL model law on insolvency proceedings – Schweizerische Luftverkehr-Aktiengesellschaft  All ER (D) 153 (Aug)
- Acted for the trustee in bankruptcy in the case of Segal v Pasram  EWHC 3448 (Ch) (transactions at an undervalue and matrimonial agreements)
- Re Eurocruit Europe Limited (in liquidation)  EWHC 1433 (Ch) – directors, breach of duty claims and limitation
- Led the insolvency advice on the pre-pack administration sale of the large children’s charity 4Children
- Acting for the trustee in bankruptcy of Karen Millen on certain aspects of her bankruptcy
- Acted for a creditor group on one of the largest ever bankruptcies in England & Wales
- Acting for the Cayman liquidators to a Hedge Fund, which was a feeder fund to a well-known New York based “Ponzi scheme”
- Acting for a group of investors on a fraud by a “day trader” giving rise to a significant judgment debt and numerous interim relief orders (freezing orders, Norwich Pharmacal)