"‘Andrew Tobey gave us an honest account of our case so we could learn lessons for the future. This also meant we could assess a sensible settlement package if we wished to go down this route. At all times he gave us practical support, setting out options so we could make a sound decision on the best way forward. At no time did he tell us the best outcome, but rather supported us to make a decision. We did not feel pressured into making a decision at any point of the process and equally we did not feel the process was being dragged out to increase our legal costs. A fair balance was achieved, which made us feel confident in our decisions.‘"
The Legal 500 2021
"He is excellent, and his knowledge in employment is incredible. He is helpful and approachable, and I very much enjoy working with him."
Chambers and Partners 2021
"He's got a good feel for the way people react to things and understands what we are trying to do with our business."
Chambers and Partners 2020
"Andrew is by far the best employment lawyer I have worked with. A sharp mind with the ability to quickly see right to the heart of a problem, his legal knowledge and expertise has proved invaluable to me time and again. I can't recommend him and his team at Michelmores highly enough."
Ian Leather, Head of Employee Relations, NHS Trust
Andrew is Head of the Employment Law team and the Public Sector team. He is ranked as a notable practitioner in Chambers and Partners and recognised as a leading individual in The Legal 500.
Andrew specialises in the full range of contentious and non-contentious employment law issues.
Andrew's specialist areas of expertise include the health sector, senior executive termination issues, breach of covenant injunction claims, and TUPE outsourcing issues.
He has been involved in a number of high profile NHS disciplinary enquiries concerning serious professional misconduct claims involving senior consultants. Andrew carries out work for a number of regional Health Trusts and has a great deal of specialist experience in the health HR sector.
- Acting for Haynes Publishing Group on a major group restructuring exercise and the outsourcing of their distribution business.
- Acting for Cambium Networks in the purchase of the PMP broadband division of Motorola: Andrew was advising on the transfer of all employees within 18 separate jurisdictions worldwide.
- Acting for the City of London Corporation in the defence of multiple Tribunal claims for harassment and whistleblowing brought by a senior staff member.
- Acting for the Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea in the defence of a multiple discrimination Tribunal claim brought by a senior in-house lawyer.
- Acting for a regional Foundation NHS Trust in negotiating the severance arrangements for their previous Chief Executive.